Getting custom cabinetry installed in your home is exciting and can add a lot of value to your space. But, are you familiar with how to properly care for them to extend their lifespan? If not, don't worry!
Our team at C & C Cabinets is on hand to guide you through some crucial tips.
- Regular maintenance
- Deep cleaning
- Protecting your cabinets
Let's get started!
The Importance of Cleaning and Maintaining Wood Cabinetry
Your cabinets are not just storage spaces; they enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home. But just like any other furniture, they need regular care and cleaning to maintain their beauty and longevity.
Regularly cleaning your wooden cabinetry helps to prevent the build-up of dust, grease, and dirt that can cause damage to the wood surface.
Accumulated residues could lead to discoloration or even rot over time. Maintenance practices such as periodic polishing or refinishing can help to shield the wood from wear and tear, additionally slowing its aging process.
Regular Cabinet Maintenance
The first line of defense against dust and grime is regular cleaning. By incorporating this into your household maintenance schedule, you can prevent build-up that can tarnish the finish of your cabinets.
Cleaning your cabinetry is quite simple!
- Wipe down the cabinet fronts using a blend of oil-based soap, like dish soap, and warm water. This combination effectively cuts through daily dirt and grime, while being gentle on the wood.
- If your cabinets have glass inserts, you can a glass cleaner, but be careful to not get any on the wood, as many glass cleaners contain ammonia which can damage wood finishes.
Remember, a gentle touch is key when maintaining the integrity and luster of your cabinetry!
Despite your best efforts at regular cleaning, sometimes a more thorough approach is required to keep your cabinets in tip-top shape.
Deep cleaning, which can be done semi-annually or annually gives you the perfect opportunity to scrub every corner of your cabinetry.
This process also lets you empty each cabinet before cleaning, which allows complete, unhindered access to every nook and cranny of the cabinet and gives you a chance to declutter and reorganize your kitchen essentials.
- Any accumulated debris can be conveniently handled using a hand-vacuum
- Then, wipe down the base of each cabinet shelf using a damp towel
- Clean with soapy water inside and out, including the hardware
- "Rinse" by wiping with a damp cloth
- Follow with a soft dry towel to ensure the cabinets are completely dry
- Restock & enjoy your clean kitchen!
So fresh and clean!
Protecting Your Cabinets
After cleaning, it's important to ensure that your cabinets are properly protected to withstand daily wear and tear. Using the right wood care products and avoiding harsh chemicals can help maintain the integrity of the wood and prolong the life of your cabinets.
It's crucial to consider the following when selecting products:
- Non-acidic and non-abrasive cleaners: These cleaners are gentle on the wood and prevent the surface from getting scratched or damaged. Harsh chemicals can strip the wood of its natural oils, leading to dryness and cracks.
- Wood-specific cleaners: These products are specially designed to clean, enhance, and protect the natural beauty of the wood. They don't deposit any residue on the wood surface, maintaining the wood's pure texture and quality.
- Microfiber cloths: For cleaning, always use a soft cloth to prevent scratches and damage to the surface. Microfiber cloths are excellent for removing dust without leaving any scratches.
Additional Protective Measures for Cabinets
On top of regular cleaning and protective measures, you can take more steps to shield your custom wood cabinetry from potential damage.
- Use liners to prevent damage from spills and leakages.
- Keep your cabinets dry, as moisture can warp wood over time.
- Use slow-close hinges on doors and drawers to soften the impact when they close.
Remember, custom cabinets are an investment; treat them as such!
More Cabinet Care Tips > Do’s & Don'ts of Cleaning Cabinets
So Fresh & So Clean
By following these simple guidelines, you can keep your cabinetry looking fresh and well-maintained for years to come. However, we understand that every home is unique, so if you have any specific concerns or questions about caring for your cabinets, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.
We love designing cabinetry, but also want to ensure that your investment stands the test of time. Your cabinets deserve the utmost care and attention, and we are here to help ensure they receive just that!
Contact C & C Cabinets for happiness built-in today!